Alice Springs Solar Potential
- Alice Springs has around 300 days of sunshine every year³.
- During a typical sunny day in Alice Springs, one square metre exposed to the sun at noon will receive approximately 1000 Watts (1kW) of energy from the sun.
- Over half of Alice Springs houses are harnessing the sun's energy with solar hot water.
- An unshaded single pane window in full sun allows 100% of the solar heat generated to radiate into your house5.
- Alice Springs is at Latitude -23°, 42' and Longitude 133°, 52'. At this latitude the summer solstice the sun is almost directly overhead at midday, while at the winter solstice it sits around 43 degrees above the horizon at midday.
- Visit Geoscience Australia to determine where in the sky the sun can be found at different times of the year.
Local Energy Facts
- Alice Springs electricity is generated by a combination of gas powered turbines and dual-fuel gas and diesel reciprocating engine generators. The natural gas currently comes from the Mereenie Gas field west of Alice Springs.
- 38% of Alice Springs electricity is used by households (based on 2005-6 PWC figures).
- Our electricity is measured in units called Kilowatt hours (KWh) – which equals the energy delivered by 1,000 Watts (1 KW) for one hour (h).
- The average Alice Springs household uses around 8,500 kWh/yr of electricity¹. How much does your household use? Have a look on the back of your power bill to find out.
- A KWh of electricity in Alice Springs results in 0.69 Kg of Carbon Dioxide being released². This means the average residence in town generates 5,800Kg of CO² every year.
- The water you use in your house creates greenhouse gas? Our water is pumped out of the ground at the Roe Creek borefield and into town which requires quite a bit of energy – around 1100kWh per Mega Litre. As the average house uses around 740KL each year, that adds 810kWh or 560kg of CO² to the household greenhouse gas emissions.
¹ PWC data 2007
² PWC data 2007
³ Bureau of Meteorology data, www.bom.gov.au
4 Australian Greenhouse Office, 1999
5 ”Your Home” Manual, 2003